1) Go to the FTDNA Project Home Page & click on the JOIN button to the right in the picture
2) In the pop-up window, simply sign in if you have tested already, or click on "Submit a Request to Join this Project" if you have not yet tested.
3) A new pop-up box asks for your name, email address, and your MDKA (Most Distant Known Ancestor). Please fill the latter in using the following format:
full name, date (or approximate year) & location of birth, date & location of death, spouse name(s) & when married (year).When it is all filled in, click on Send Request.
4) The Admins (Judy & Maurice) will be notified of your request.
For those who have already taken a DNA test
5) If your request is approved, you will receive an email telling you this and you will be added to the project. Judy/Maurice will allocate you to the appropriate group within the project and will send you a welcome email summarising your results and advising of any appropriate next steps.
6) An alternative way to join is by simply clicking on the this link, choosing Option A, enter your kit number and password, and click SIGN IN. You will be notified by email if your request is approved.
For those who have not yet taken a DNA test
New members can join the project by purchasing a Y-DNA-37 test (this is the basic test for surname research). This only works on males so if you are female you will have to get your father, brother or male cousin to take the test. Only males have the Y chromosome. This is passed from father to son. It is not passed from father to daughter.
There is a discount of $20 off the usual price if you buy it through our project, and a further discount may be available if there happens to be a Sale on at the time of your purchase (ask if an "additional discount" is available on your Join Request). This may bring the price down from $169 to $129 or lower (depending on the availability and extent of any "additional discount").
5) If your request is approved, you'll receive an email with a link in it. Click on the link, which takes you to the page where you'll buy your test
6) Click on "Order Now" for the Y-DNA-37 test (4th test down - this screenshot features the Christmas Sale)
7) Click on "male" beside "Select this testers gender" … and the "Proceed to Checkout" button will turn green
8) If the Admins have sent you an additional discount code, click on "Do you have a coupon?" below the "Proceed to Checkout" button. Enter the code and click "Apply". This should give you an extra discount off the price.
9) Click on the green "Proceed to Checkout" button to complete your purchase.
10) Once your kit arrives, follow the instructions for swabbing the inside of your cheek. Click here to see a useful video on how to swab. You will collect 2 samples, one for each of the 2 plastic tubes. Do not eat for 1 hour before swabbing. Swab for 1 minute for each sample. Fill in the white Submission Form and the green Consent Form. Be sure to write your email address clearly (preferably twice - once in small letters, once in capital letters). Post it back to the lab in the envelope provided.
11) Once your sample has been received by the lab, you will receive an email with a password to your own personal webpage on the FTDNA website. This is where your results will be posted when they are ready.
12) Your test results should arrive 6-10 weeks later, but there is a lot you can do while you are waiting for them to arrive. Click here for instructions on how to set up your personal webpage in order to get the most out of your DNA results.